Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Hours..More Like the Hours I Spent Reading It

I am not much of a book reader, but when I do read, I expect the book to grab and hold my attention. Unfortunately, The Hours by Michael Cunningham does not do either. Since it was for class, I was somewhat forced to read it. There was no putting it down when a grade depended on it. The story is about three women from different time periods whose stories begin to link up towards the end. All three women face different but similar life crisis problems. The women faced death, thoughts of suicide, and had trouble dealing with the lives they lived. It sounds like it should be a little interesting, but that is far from the truth. Most of the students in my class shared my opinion. We felt like the story was just about problems. No solutions other than suicide were ever brought to the table. The plot was basically about three emotional women who did not know how to deal with whatever problems or situations they faced in their lives. According to other ratings and the fact that it one the Pulitzer Prize, maybe this book just isn't made for the younger crowd. Maybe it's just me and my fellow peers who don't appreciate Cunningham's work. I never looked forward to reading The Hours. It was one of those assignments that I really could not wait to finish. I don't really look forward to doing most of my homework like most students, but this book was never high on my to do list. After we had finished reading the book, we watched the movie. It had good a cast with Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Julianne Moore, but even they were not able to liven up this book. The movie worsened our opinions. The same depressing picture is painted whether it be in writing or in film. If you like reading about middle aged women and their problems, than this might be the book for you. If you like excitement, I highly suggest you stay far from The Hours. Please don't waste your own hours on this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment